Ide Hill Parish Church: St Mary the Virgin
Ide Hill had an Anglican chapel built in 1806, inspired by Beilby Porteus, the Bishop of London. Subsequently, Ide Hill Parish Church, St Mary the Virgin was built in 1865. It was built by the architect C.H. Cooke and cost a mere £2,805. It is the highest church in Kent.
John Newman, writing in “The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald”, describes it as a “rather endearing” structure, and indeed, to stand inside the modest building is to feel at ease.